Monday, March 05, 2007

No Omlets Here

It’s been a while, I apologize. ..


For Himmler


She was sitting there at the table, with her flaming red hair. Her Coca-Cola making a ring of perspiration in the morning heat; I think it was her breakfast. I wouldn’t be surprised.
This is someone who used to race the little wooden book cart down the aisles of the school library.
With me on it.
No sensible omelets here.

I think I borrowed her tip-ex during an accounting class (don’t ask). I made a friend in return. It was all downhill from there.

11 years later, we find ourselves at the table, a little older, a little calmer. A little.

We don’t Xerox our faces anymore, or hold wild karaoke extravaganza evenings. We don’t have pizza binges and have given up our addiction for chocolate tumbles. We don’t sit in our comfy beanbags at the Zanzibar; we no longer sip our favorite wine.

But we do have coke for breakfast. And what a lovely coke it was.

I’m so glad I ran out of tip-ex.

No comments: